Sunday, February 10, 2008

No Feelings leads to... uncertainty?

I am not sure how to explain this topic - so I will just do so as best as I can. I dont actually FEEL anything in regards to love, rather, I experience thoughts. For instance, when my son walked across the stage at kindergarten and 5th grade graduation I am sure many parents felt proud and felt the love they had for their child - I "felt" nothing. When my oldest daughter gets excited over a wonderful cartwheel or laughs until she cries when I am tickling her - I "feel" nothing. When my youngest daughter asks me "gin" (translation: again) when I am singing to her or kissing her rapidly under her chin to make her laugh - I "feel" nothing.

Now, there is no doubt that I love my children - but I dont have any physical feelings to relate to any of these and countless other moments. No tug of the heart strings, no feeling of my heart beating faster, etc. The same goes for my parents. I love my parents with everything about me - but "feel" nothing in regards to my love for them. I dont think there is anything wrong with me - but it makes me wonder: why?

My Master and I are in a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship as well. We live 3 states away from each other at the moment. Without a feeling of some kind, doubt tends to fester and make me uncertain. Amid all of this uncertainty, I made a great revelation. I shouldnt stay as sheltered as I have been. I have thought many times about the fact that if we dont work out in our relationship, the kids will get hurt. My revelation centered around that point most of all. You see - if I dont take a chance, I will be teaching the kids to keep yourself guarded when you have a chance at love and/or happiness. I think that would be worse then helping them learn to deal with being hurt (if it ever comes).

Therefore, I still have doubts from time to time about whether or not I should move; whether I should trust my Master in terms of our relationship; or whether I should go for it. Each time though, I can remind myself that I would rather teach my children to go for the joy they want in life - rather than stay couped up and safe.

No comments: