Monday, February 18, 2008

Too Emotional To Control?

Is there such thing as too emotional to control? I am proud of my ups and downs - when I am up there is no stopping me and everyone around me is affected in a positive way. But, I do know that I can be a lot to handle when my emotions get the best of me. I think I need to look at how to control my emotions better.

Well, I have searched for books on the topic and nothing in our local library is going to help. So, I can work on this - for me - in a way that suits me best. Maybe if I take notes I can write the book to help someone else? Ok, just a teaser.

I do have a mantra that I need to work on to make more of a habit to repeat to myself when needed: Cool, Calm, Collected

I would like to say I came up with it on my own. I did in my mind, however, I have learned that it was said before my time. Therefore, I think it was told to me when I was very young, but I picked up on it and "thought" it up later. Either way, it is something that does work for me - I just have to make it work more often.

Also - (this will be another topic later, but I can mention it here) - I need to work on how to stop myself from going over something again and again and again and again.... well you get the idea. I tend to repeat converations, experiences, or even made up stuff that I am trying to be prepared for in my head over and over and over. It is hard to break the cycle and that agitates my emotions when it isnt joyous. A friend of mine also has this problem and he says "I lost interest" and continues on with whatever else. It is a technique that works for him, but I dont want to be so dismissive of others. Maybe I can do that to a lesser extent and not alienate people?

No comments: