Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Red Carnation Corsage from Dad

I remember many many years ago (actually about 16 years ago), my father gave me a red carnation for Valentine's Day. It was a great thing to have gotten. I enjoy the memory of it to this day. He showed up at my work and pinned a red corsage on me. That was one of the first things I received on Valentine's Day. I know he will never read this - but thank you dad!!

Over the years, I havent gotten much on Valentine's Day - mostly I have been single for them, but even when I wasnt it seems I dont get much. I am not into the hype that you have to go way out of your way to impress someone on that 1 day - but a little something would be nice.

I also think part of the reason for me not remembering much happening on Valentine's Day is my happiness level. When I was younger, I remember much more of the good times than the bad. I know that now, I still forget a lot of the bad or unhappy times (which makes it hard to give examples when I am arguing with someone/anyone), but I do remember more than I used to. That is also one of the reasons I want to be a bit happier more often.

This weekend we are going to my parents house (well on Saturday and coming back home the same day). My mother promised my oldest daughter that if she read the first Spiderwick Chronicles book, we would see the movie. That was a great success because now she doesnt want to read anything else! Anyway, I will stay at home with my youngest and babysit while everyone else gets to go to the movies. During that time, I am going to make a list of things that make me happy. The list will include things that I like doing now and things that I would like to try which hopefully will make me happy. Then, I can make a list of things I can do (action steps) to help me do those things more. I will make sure to post both lists (at least the brief version) for you this weekend!

No comments: